Things That Inspire Me: Japanese Magazines

5:00 AM



Hi hello!   I want to share with you some things that inspire me to get CREATIVE. 

  JAPANESE MAGAZINES.  

Have you ever picked up a magazine and thought, "wow. This is ART."? That's what Japanese magazines are for me.

In the U.S I never picked up magazines. Period. Maybe I wasn't finding the right ones, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, I don't know. But when I would look at them at the drugstore counters, they were either full of gossip, things that were unrelateable to me, or filled with poorly designed ads every other page. Perhaps I was too used to all the "american" magazines around me and they became uninteresting.

It wasn't until I visited Japan for the first time when I picked up a magazine again and it was A WHOLE NEW EXPERIENCE! It wasn't just one magazine, it was plenty that I have read which gave me this euphoric experience. I was so inspired by what this culture does with their magazines.




I picked up the "SPRING" magazine the other day, looked through it after work, and I was left with the feeling of wanting to CREATE!! Their designs, layouts, fashion and advice were so simple, elegant and modern. ALSO, some even come with omake or "Bonus Presents" such as the make-up case I received and drew in my illustration! (My coworker got a huge tote bag the other day! You never know what's out there!)

If you can't speak/read Japanese THAT'S EVEN BETTER. You don't have to worry about what they're saying, you can just focus on the ART of the magazine.

 If you are looking for ways to practice drawing people, clothing, editorial illustrations, etc, take a break from your local daily magazine and pick up a Japanese magazine, or a magazine from ANOTHER CULTURE. You might be surprised by what they publish or how they design their editorials, and become inspired!!

what inspires you to GET CREATIVE? Let me know your recommendations!! 


❤  LOVE, MANA   


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe