Japan: Living with "Nothing"

12:11 AM



I arrived in Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan, late August of 2015 as a new ALT (assistant language teacher). While I was happy and grateful to receive the chance to move somewhere in Japan, my heart was in Tokyo, and I knew I would be looking for jobs to move there the following year. So from the very beginning, I knew I couldn't get too comfortable and fill my new apartment with more than what was necessary. 

Now, with only 3 weeks until the end of my contract and the start of my new teaching job in Tokyo (YES!!!!!), I've started to reflect on what I've learned from living here in a new prefecture on my own. I stared at my apartment and thought back to when my company greeted me on my arrival to Ibaraki.



I don't blame them for asking me if what I brought with me was all I had. They thought I must have sent the rest of my things in packages from the states just like the other ALT's. I got to my apartment, got some necessary items, and the number of things hasn't increased since then. If my friends and family saw my apartment now they would also be confused. "You sleep on the floor?" "No pantry?" "No desk? Chairs? Lamps? Side tables? Sofas?" "Is that all you have?"



Majority of my life was spent in a big house with lots of things, big kitchens, multiple rooms and all that jazz. One would think I would be bothered by the lack of things I was used to having. Or be upset with the fact that I would have to live this way due to my current job being temporary. Instead I learned an amazing thing about myself while living in this apartment -- while living in a place society may believe has "nothing." 

I live with what brings me JOY.

For those who don't know, there are cultural differences between Japan's lifestyle and other countries'. (i.e sleeping with a futon on the floor, no drying machines, no dishwashers, no pantries full of food, no central heating systems, taking off shoes inside etc.) However the point I want to make is not the cultural difference, but that wherever I live, I could still feel the need or make the choice to fill my apartment with a four poster bed, a desk, a sofa, a standing lamp, a shelf full of stuff, etc. The list could literally go on. The question I would ask myself is, 

"will these things I could have, bring me JOY?"

Here are some things I have which already bring me joy and pleasure:


(These are just some of the physical things. There is also the very real support of my friends and loved ones who bring me joy every day.)


Some of these items seem very simple and obvious. I used to think I didn't have many things back when I was in the states and would always want MORE. I'm happy to say I don't feel that anymore. I go over to my friend's places and instead of being jealous of how much they have, I enjoy their space and company AND I go back home knowing I live in a place I ALSO enjoy.


I am not judging those who do live with many things! I don't think everyone should live the same way I do. That would be a very boring world, wouldn't it? What brings me joy might not bring you the same joy. 

And don't get me wrong, would it be nice to have a desk right now? Hell yeah. I would also LOVE to see my books and items neatly organized in a birch wood shelf. I also know I have lived for 7 months (and will continue to) without these things, and that's the awesome part. Knowing what I already have is really all I need to bring me joy, gives me so much relief and freedom. I don't question or judge my lifestyle, it just is.




I would like to rephrase my answer towards my boss, and to anyone who asked "Is this all you have?" to:


"This is all I need."


What brings YOU joy?


With love, Mana 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Congratulations on landing another teaching job.
    But this is a very important article, I feel.
    If living minimalistically works for you, I'm happy!
    You don't always need a great deal of possessions to be happy.

    I have a lot of things that I carry with me.
    99% of this stuff I've had for years, actually.
    But from time to time, it's nice to get away and live with basic things.
    My computers, notebooks, and some clothes — feels so nice.

    You're a very good inspiration for a peaceful outlook of life.
    As far as what brings me joy: nothing.
    Maybe something will one day, maybe not.
    But it's nice to see others happy and enjoy themselves instead, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!! I am happy you experienced a wonderful time in Ibaraki. It's one of the places I would like to teach. I will be signing up for the ALT programme later this year.

    If it is possible, please tell me what the experience was like while teaching at the school, the expense of things in Ibaraki, and weather. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!!! I am happy you experienced a wonderful time in Ibaraki. It's one of the places I would like to teach. I will be signing up for the ALT programme later this year.

    If it is possible, please tell me what the experience was like while teaching at the school, the expense of things in Ibaraki, and weather. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe